Civil Engineering Program
The infrastructure is a foundation to support our human activities such as economic and cultural activity and our living spaces.
These include the facilities such as lifelines (supplying water, electricity and gas), roads, ports, airports, etc., and the disaster prevention facilities such as bank roads,
breakwaters, retaining wall, etc. In order to build a comfortable and sustainable society, we need to:
- 1. Establish not only to construct infrastructures but also to make systems of means and activities whereby social functions
- 2. Use roads wisely for cancelling traffic congestion based on recent/past findings in civil engineering studies
- 3. Plan our evacuation routes to escape from large-scale natural disasters
In the program, we design comfortable and sustainable infrastructures and make a social system whereby the efficiency and safety among humans, living spaces, economy and cultures are maximized.
Additionally, there are many infrastructures that have been used more than 100 years in our living space. Hence, we not only construct new infrastructures but also need to maintain and manage such
traditional ones. The scope of the program is the whole of human life and its living spaces, which are the continuum events leading from the past to the present and even into the future.
Education and Curriculum
The aim of civil engineering program is to develop engineers involved in planning communities, designing and constructing infrastructures and preventing natural disasters.
The infrastructures include public works such as bridges, roads, airports, port facilities, railroads, dams, slopes, etc. In particular, we put our effort into the followings:
- 1. Establishing resilient infrastructures system in subtropical environment
- 2. Developing novel technologies for conservation of natural environment and disaster prevention in island regions
In our curriculum, we provide (i) General common subjects, (ii) Specialty basic subjects and (iii) Special subjects under the full-time supervised education system.
The curriculum enables students to design future-oriented infrastructures considered safety and security issues and to deal with various social and technical needs such as
establishment of a sustainable society where the economy grows in harmony with the natural environment. This will enable students to develop:
- 1. A recognition ability to establish a sustainable society with respect to the importance of various viewpoints and connection with regional and international communities through the General common subjects
- 2. The fundamental knowledge and skills in natural sciences to design infrastructures collectively through the Specialty basic subjects
- 3. A specialized knowledge to design a civilized society, the ability to consider and act independently, and the communication and general management skills to solve social issues through the Special subjects
The civil engineering program offer admission to students of the highest motivation for learning. with a global vision and creative ideas. The students are expected to have a strong desire to:
- 1. Do town development on a regional scale in harmony with nature
- 2. Establish a disaster resilient islands
In this program, the candidates is able to select several entrance examinations suitable to their needs.
The civil engineering program is to develop engineers to deal with the following demand of society:
- 1. Establishment of infrastructures in harmony with nature, which makes the best use of Okinawaâ€™s geographical features such as subtropical climate, island and oceanic regions
- 2. Development of a sustainable social infrastructures such as airports, port facilities, bridges, roads, railroads, etc. to bolster the tourism industry of Okinawa
- 3. Development and research of ocean and offshore resources
- 4. Creation of an environmental symbiosis society
- 5. Reduction of risks of natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunami, landslides, etc.